Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The End of an Era

I got so wrapped up in the election and yesterday's inauguration that I forgot that President Bush's departure might mean the phasing out of one of the Pleiss Morrises' favorite catch phrases. For those of you who don't watch Stephen Colbert, he typically ends his interviews with politicians and political analysts by asking, "George Bush - Great President or Greatest???"

Ben and I find this phrase extremely useful and versatile. We can ask, "Sandwich Sprinkle - Great addition to our lives or Greatest?" Or we can chat about the status of the GOP over email and say, "Palin-Huckabee 2012 - Great disaster or Greatest?"

Oh, well, maybe Stephen will find a way to keep it going. And if not, I will gladly resign our catchphrase to the history books, asking, "A renewed pride in my country - Great trade off or Greatest?"

No comments: