Monday, May 14, 2012

Brave, Strong, Smart

The last official day of my first year as a junior professor-- 2012 commencement--and Mother's Day fell on the same day. Appropriate, no?

We made it. Flashes of our lives over the past nine months come to me at odd moments, and I really don't know how we made it this far. We didn't always proceed with grace; there were lots and lots of stumbles, but stumbling over the finish line is still crossing the finish line.

I heard the same quote twice yesterday-- once from one of our commencement speakers and once when I saw it on a friend's Pinterest board. It seemed a perfect capstone to the past nine months. The part of me that has spent the year teaching Shakespeare, Spenser, Milton, Foucault, and Derrida wishes it was something more profound than Winnie-the-Pooh, but, as Vivian says in Wit, "Now is the time for simplicity."

"You are braver than you believer, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-A. A. Milne

Part of me loves that it is Milne's words that have found me, because as Julian grows up hearing the story of his first nine months, this is exactly the message I want him to take away. He is my brave, strong, smart boy, and I am so grateful to him for showing me the same qualities in myself.


5 comments:

debbie said...

I am so happy for you. So glad that everything has come together.

Laura said...

Ann, I adore that quotation and think that it is the perfect sentiment to cap off the year you have had. Congratulations, and job well done, Dr. Mom! :)

Nicole VZ said...

Congrats on making it through! Can't wait to see you soon!

Mary said...

Reading this, I thought immediately of a song I haven't heard in years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Vdw0hZk20&feature=related

Congratulations!

Stacy E. said...

Can't wait to see you soon, Oshkosh friends!! :)