![]() |
| Artwork by Curly Girl Designs |
Reading these two passages, written by two very different memoirists, in a relatively short amount of time, changed me. On walks with Sully, I found myself thinking of all the beating hearts around us. On days when life felt overwhelming, I would breathe slowly and remember to be grateful for all the beating hearts in my life. At night, I would lie in bed and feel Ben and Sully’s heartbeats as we drifted off together and feel so, so overwhelmed by the miracle that is our life together.
But back then, before August 29, 2010, I had no concept of the depth of that miracle or how much I would come to love the gentle flickering of a heart on an ultrasound screen or the sound of a strong, perfect heartbeat.
As of today, Valentine’s Day, we are past the first trimester in our most recent pregnancy. (Yeah, getting pregnant is obviously not my problem.) I’ll post an entry about some of the more angst-ridden early days of this pregnancy. But today I just want to tell you, we saw a perfect heartbeat on January 4. And after an anxiety-ridden minute or two, we heard baby’s perfect, healthy heartbeat on January 26. (Seriously, the doctor had to check my pulse while she was looking for baby’s heartbeat because mine was beating so fast, she thought it might be baby’s.) Now, on this day of hearts, we are out of the (statistically) most dangerous part of the pregnancy. Honestly, I’ve done too much reading to believe everything is “fine” now, but I will breathe a little easier today.
My pregnancy experience will never be that of the stereotypical first-time mother. For a long time, we couldn’t bring ourselves to talk about this baby, and now we talk about him/her in cautious terms. But really, we gave over our hearts to this baby at that early morning ultrasound in January. He/she was just a little blob on the screen, but that heartbeat was clear. That night, as we all lied together in bed, I counted the heartbeats – Ben’s, Sully’s, mine, and the baby’s. That was, and always will continue to be, a miracle beyond my understanding.
Happy Valentine’s Day.
Love,
Ann, Ben, Sully & Baby
PS If you are friends with us on Facebook, we request that you help us keep this news off public message boards. I'm still trying to keep this news quiet at work for a variety of reasons. Thanks in advance!

6 comments:
Such a beautiful entry! And I am definitely crying tears of joy right now - I'm so happy for you!
Judith
Crying tears of joy here, too. Thanks, Ann, for this post and for your own beautiful beating heart -- and that other, perfect heartbeat you are sustaining. You're right -- there's nothing more miraculous than that sound.
Honorary Aunt Stacy can't wait to meet Baby Stacy!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Take care of yourself. Enjoy!
Reading this made my day! Congratulations, Ann!
Lynne
Thank you all for your sweet comments. Baby is lucky to have all of you in his/her life! (and Mama is lucky too!)
Post a Comment