Sunday, September 4, 2011

Story Time

We've discovered that Julian likes to have stories read to him. The texts we used to discover this, however, are slightly untraditional. Last night, I starting reading Beowulf to him. My mother-in-law said, "That will put him to sleep." It was quite the contrary. His eyes got wide as I read to him, and his mouth was a perfect "o," as if he was waiting in great anticipation to hear what that crazy fool Grendel would do next. Ben said, "Yeah, I was trying to put him to sleep the other night, so I read to him from the Gospel of John. But it didn't work at all; he loved it."

If this all isn't nerdy enough, I found myself thinking as I changed his diaper: "This is great. He's already been exposed to New Testament Christianity and Pagan-influenced early European Christian principles." Yes, this is what happens when nerds procreate. Don't worry, we'll move soon to Sandra Boyton and Dr. Suess. Still, I have a Shakespeare and Early British Survey course to teach. What's the harm multi-tasking my reading load and story time? (And yes, I'm already reciting snatches of Shakespeare's verse to him.)

3 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, his eyes are actually open! He must really be into it. I noticed when I was talking to him last week that he'd really pay attention if I started reciting little poems, so I think you're right about him having an internal rhythm. Maybe he really will be a percussionist. Or a rapper. :)

In other news, the role of Grendel will be played by Sully...I mean, that look he's giving the camera is pretty darned intense.

Hey, speaking of medieval texts (or is Beowulf pre-medieval), I discovered a YA novel at the library that's about a pilgrimage of Margery Kempe, told from the POV of her servant girl. Could be interesting.

Connie C. said...

Julian LOVES the sound of YOUR voices... He doesn't care what texts you read to him right now just have lots of expression in your reading!! You two are the most important people in his life and he hangs on your every word, enjoy him!!

Anonymous said...

One of the first books Everett read aloud to Aidan was Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Such is the luck of the children born to literary scholars. :-)

So great to read about how you all are doing! I'm so glad there is a lot of joy in the midst of the craziness and exhaustion (which I remember well).

Jenn H.