Since our national election is less than two weeks away, I just wanted to remind you to vote on Tuesday, November 4! As canines are not given a vote in this country (believe me, my peers and I are working to change this...that is when we find time between eating, naps, and sniffing each other...so, you know, it will take a while), I know first hand what a privilege it is to have a say in national government.
Now, you are probably saying, "Sully, is that an partisan button I see on your scarf?" Yes, yes it is. And I apologize if I offend anyone with my election wear of choice, but I, like my mom, believe that we as a nation are not living up to our potential. And while my mom and I agree that no politician will ever be a "savior" and that true change will only occur when we all start working together to achieve a better future, we do feel that Mr. Obama will be better at fostering this cooperation within our nation's government.
My mom told me that when she picked up these buttons at Obama's headquarters in North Liberty, she brought them out to the car, put one on her coat right away, and teared up a little. She thought about how her mom has told her so many times about how hopeful she felt when she cast her ballot for John F. Kennedy. She realized that her greatest hope in the next 13 days will be that after inauguration day, she can put these two buttons in the bottom of her jewelry box and one day show them to her children when she tells them about this historic moment and how she so desperately wanted a leader who would make this country a better place for them.
But regardless of who you will be voting for on Nov. 4, please just vote. Get informed both the national and local issues that are at stake in this election. And even though I know the polling places will be crazy and you are busy people, just try to think about what you will say to the next generation when they ask you about Nov. 4, 2008. Are you going to say, "Well, I had a meeting that day" or "The line was too long"? And also remember that I'm a dog, and *I* would vote in this election if I could!
So, again, sorry to get all political on you. My mom and I aren't usually the type to push our views on other people. But we truly feel that this election is too important *not* to say what's on our hearts. So in conclusion, here's a picture of my mom and I with our matching buttons. Aren't we just *adorable*?
4 comments:
I absolutely love the picture of you and your mom together, Sully. :)
Hey, Sully, I love the new look! And I'm glad you're encouraging everyone to vote--there's such a great energy at a full polling place (in 2004 I stood in line for half an hour! But I got to talk to some students who recognized me and said, "The Mad Scientist is VOTING!"). If dogs like you could vote, we'd be a more fun, laid-back, compassionate country, I'm sure of it. Not so sure about the poodles, though!
Oy, with the poodles already! And those toy schauzers...there's one of those across the street from us...grrr...that little *&#$! You know I'm a lover, not a fighter, but that guy! I hate that guy!
That's okay, Sully--every hero needs a nemisis. The toy schnauzer can be yours!
Tell your mom I'm a little worried how I'm going to go almost 4 days without any election coverage. Wish you both were coming with me to hang with the monks!
Post a Comment