On Tuesday night, I taught Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake, which is a gorgeous novel (and would be great summer reading). It's about a family of Indian immigrants, and as I was reading other responses to the novel, I realize that I'm not to only person who walked away from the Ganguli family's story craving Indian food. In order to satisfy that craving, I made spinach and arugula salad with Indian-spiced chickpeas and charred red onions, a recipe provided by our CSA farmer. I serve this dish with white rice on the side and store bought whole-wheat naan. Although the naan wasn't the same as eating naan in an Indian restaurant, I found that once you heated it up, it was quite delicious (I think the brand was Tandoori; I found it at New Pioneer Co-op in Coralville).
Spinach and Arugula Salad with Indian-Spiced Chickpeas and Charred Red Onions
1 med red onion cut into ½ inch rounds
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
½ bunch of garlic scapes, minced
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 14 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint (optional)
4 cups flat leaf spinach
2 cups arugula
1 Tbsp lime juice
Place the cut onion onto a baking sheet, brush with oil and salt, and broil on broiler for about 10 minutes until charred, turning once. Heat the rest of the oil in the skillet. When hot add the garlic scapes, mustard and cumin seeds and stir until the seeds pop, about 30 seconds. Cover the pan and continue to cook until the seeds are done, about another 30 seconds. Stir the chickpeas, mint (optional) and salt, and then cool slightly. Toss the spinach, arugula, onions, warm chickpeas, and lime juice in a large bowl. Serve immediately.
I'm eager to try to incorporate more whole grains in my diet, so on Wednesday, I tried to make these quinoa patties. The "patty" part never really materialized for me (I think I should have chilled the mixture longer), and what we ended up eating was more like the quinoa equivalent of fried rice. Still, it the concoction was delicious (even Ben raved about it), especially when served with more of the Naan. I did, however, forget to take a photo, so you'll just have to imagine how lovely it looked.
We had some special meals later in the week, so stayed tuned for more information on those...
1 comment:
What a wonderful menu -- Ben is a lucky man! I especially want to try the Spinach and Arugula Salad with Chickpeas and the Quinoa Patties. That sounds like my favorite kind of recipe -- one that still turns out beautifully even if it doesn't quite do what it's supposed to. Thanks for all the tips!
Post a Comment