First, I got a great deal on some annuals at the Iowa City Fareway. I had a vision of this flowering sanctuary that I was going to create on our back deck, and then I priced the type of flower boxes I was envisioning - yeah, that was not going to happen. But that night, I went to Goodwill, and found a $5 plastic flower box which holds all of the flowers. It's simple, yes, but still lovely. I spend around $2 total on the flowers. Not a bad way to spend $7, huh?
Next, I have found that the birds love our herb garden as much as we do. I went looking for a few things that might detract them from viewing our back deck as the aviary equivalent of the Ruby Tuesday's salad bar. I stumbled on this $3 bird cage that works perfectly as a cloche over our basil and might be one of my favorite Goodwill finds ever.
The bottom of the cage is temporarily protecting the Thai Basil. I also found two small waste baskets for $1 And $2 to serve as additional cloches.
The initial reason, I went to Goodwill was to look for pieces to construct a wind chime. Once I was there, I found an already constructed chime for $2. It wasn't really my style, but I still figured I could do something with it. I spray painted it silver and strung some colorful beads on top of the chimes. You can still tell that they are geese, but at least it's a bit more whimsical.

And finally, as I was wandering around a little vase caught my eye.
Now if only I could find the curtains I've been stalling on for two years...
No comments:
Post a Comment