Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Name Game

So Ben is pretty sure of what the baby's name will be if it's a girl. He said that he doesn't know how it came to him, but he can't shake it. I also thought I knew what baby's name would be if it's a girl, but I think I'm giving into his name. I know, write that one down in the record books. I like it. I really like what it means. It fits with the middle name I am insisting on. I worry it's too popular, but still, I'm getting to the point where I can't shake it either.

I think I'm also ready to give in, because I'm so frightened of what Ben will come up with for a boy's name. We are completely stumped on a boy's name. And we are getting no where in this process, because this is how our conversations go:

ANN. What about Ethan?
BEN. Ethan. Can we name him Ethan Allen? Ethan Allen Morris. That's strong name for a lad.

Or this morning, as we were waking up:

BEN. What about Phillip?
ANN. Phillip. It reminds of Phil X who I went to grade school with.
BEN. I thought it could be after your aunt, kind of. [My Aunt Mary Phil recently passed away.]
ANN. Yeah. Phillip James isn't a bad name. [My Uncle Jim recently passed away as well.] beat. Wait, Ben, we cannot name our child PHILLIP MORRIS!
BEN. What? They changed their name. They are Altria Group now.
ANN. Veto.

3 comments:

Nicole VZ said...

HA! So funny!

What's funnier is that at Staci's shower, we all got to pick out a potential name for their little boy. And I think her grandma (or someone) suggested Ethan.

Staci's last name is now Allan. :-)

(and someone else suggested Allan itself- a kid so nice they named him twice.)

Mary said...

"Phillip Morris" made me spray coffee on my monitor, so thanks for that! :)

I had this dream that you guys decided to name the baby "Super", because then you could add all kinds of middle names, whether it was a boy or a girl. "Super Iority" was one of the ideas that got tossed around.

Yes, my brain is a very odd place.

Stacy E. said...

The Veto comment reminds me of the Friends episode -- "Is anybody else starting to like Veto??" :)

My parents were super happy they had two girls, since they only had one boy name picked out. It all works out like it should.

Baby Stacy still has a nice ring to it...