We have been talking a lot at this house about what frustrates us about Christmas and what we want to emphasize for Julian during this season. We believe strongly in Advent in this house; we like the emphasis on waiting and hope that is suppose to be a part of this season. So we light Advent candles during our meals and on Sundays we read scripture and even sing our favorite Advent hymns. My mom quilted Julian an Advent calendar that depicts the Nativity scene, so he and I put up a piece each day, talk about it, and some times sing appropriate songs. If Ben had his way, all Christmas songs would be banned as well, but I have amassed a number of holiday albums that I love and my son lights up when I sing "Up on the Housetop" to him, so Christmas music wins out.
We are pretty good at Advent. But then there is, as Buddy the Elf would say, "The Big Show." How on earth to we create a meaningful Christmas for our child? On the one hand, I'm about ready to ban TV in our house during late November and December. The messages in the commericals, especially the Black Friday ones, make my skin crawl. We are planning on doing Santa, but I am already feeling how easily this tradition can get out of hand. So I'm trying to set some parameters for this new venture. I want to make a gift for him each year; this year I'm making him fabric stacking blocks (note to self - from here on out start these projects in the summer, college professor!). His other gifts are simple - a sweater, some books, and formula. I recently read an online article in which one commenter said they gave her son a series of small gifts and "a goat" - they let him go onto Heifer.org and pick out an animal (or share of an animal) he would like to donate. We love this idea, and I think it is something we will start as well.
I really am feeling adrift in all this, but I know I have lots of thoughtful friends who live simply. So how about it friends? Any other ideas?
this thankful week
9 months ago
3 comments:
I always try to give presents that "give back" -- this year, all of my family members are getting things that give school supplies to poor areas or send books to Africa with purchase. Charlie is getting his own pair of TOMS shoes, and I bought Martha and Simon gifts from the fair trade store that sells things by local artists.
Handmade gifts are the loveliest, IF it doesn't kill you timewise to get them done!
A friend of mine gives each of her kids an ornament each year--she chooses a theme each year (polar bears, nutcrackers, Star Wars, etc.) and gets something that will appeal to each kid within that theme. (You could make them, too.) She writes their names on the ornaments somewhere, and stores each kid's ornaments in a special box. When they're old enough to move out (as they're now getting to be), they will each have a "starter" set of meaningful ornaments to take with them to decorate their own trees.
By the way, I'm with you on avoiding the ads. Have you seen the Best Buy ones where people *compete* with Santa? They're repulsive.
You need to get this book: https://store.rabbitroom.com/product/behold-the-lamb-of-god-an-advent-narrative
It's new this year, and Matthew and I are reading a chapter each day, and it's lovely. Do you have the album? I can't remember.
I loved this post- good reminder of what it's all about!
Post a Comment