Friday, April 3, 2009

You Iowa Girls

One day last summer, my friend Laura was coming to our house for the first time. When I informed Ben of her visit, he asked, "Laura...do I know her?" I reminded him that we had met Laura and her husband at the farmers' market that morning. "Oh, right," he replied. "I'm sorry, Honey, all you Iowa girls look alike. There's the brown haired ones with glasses and the blonde haired ones with glasses." Today I was at lunch with a wonderfully large group of my Iowa friends, and I had to laugh. Here we all were - the blonde ones and the brunette ones - and by some twist of fate, we were all wearing our glasses.

I love these visually impaired women and the time I get to spend with them. As some of us caught up over bento boxes at Takanami and coffee at Capanna, we shared our successes, our struggles, our insecurities, our passions, and our funny anecdotes. (Deb-I am still laughing about Juror Appreciation Day!) I feel so, so lucky to have had the opportunity to meet these women. They are so kind, so intelligent, so generous, and so talented. As I looked around the table, I just could not believe that I could count myself as one of them. I couldn't help but think that, after all those awkward years in my teens, I had finally made it to the cool table - a table filled with introverted bookworms in spectacles.

Ladies, I can't think of a group of women whom I would wish to resemble more.

2 comments:

Stacy E. said...

I totally forgot about Deb's story about Juror Appreciation Day - and just laughed out loud again!! :) I had so much fun seeing you all in IC, and I also realized that we all were wearing glasses (cute, trendy, smart girl glasses!). Maybe my eyes hurt that morning for a reason... SEE YOU SOON - miss you already!

Laura said...

Ann, this is such a sweet post. And the feeling, of course, is completely mutual. Of all the women in the world to be confused with, I am honored it is a group of sweet, bespectacled bibliophiles!