Wednesday, April 29, 2009

O Canada

April 17th was a very big day for many former Americans.

When Ann started this blog almost year ago, she said it was a venue for both of us. Since then it’s been a great outlet for her. Mostly it’s been a reflection on her conversations with the dog.

I wasn’t sure where I would be able to interrupt Ann’s chats with our furry friend. But a story I saw a few weeks ago was the opportunity I had been waiting for.

Below is a link the aforementioned “opportunity.” Thanks to a new law, the Canadian government has restored citizenship to those who were forced to renounce it when they relocated to other nations. It also grants citizenship to their children.

Upon reading this, I thought immediately of our friend Joanne. I remember being fascinated when she told me her mother was born Canadian, but I also tried to offer comfort. “That’s very interesting,” I said. “But I’m sorry to hear that she can never be President of the United States.”

According to this new decree, Joanne and millions like her are eligible for citizenship in the Great White North. I can only hope that Joanne celebrated with great exuberance, redecorating her home with hockey memorabilia and proudly hanging the Canadian flag. Much like this government sponsored YouTube video, “Waking Up Canadian.”



To Joanne and those like her, I offer a message of peace and friendship. I’m sure that we can continue to live in a state of harmony similar to last month: when you were an American.

Cheers,
Ben

No comments: