Wednesday, August 5, 2009

CSA Update: Greatest Hits

Okay, I've fallen behind on my CSA updates. What can I say it? It's been a busy few weeks; what with the carpet cleaning and the dissertation writing and company and the syllabus writing and the work set-backs.

And then there's all the prepping for tomorrow - it's Julie & Julia Day, people! It's like Christmas! I can't wait to tell you about my plans for tomorrow afternoon! So exciting!!!

We've been eating a lot of veggies over here. Do you know what was on my grocery list this week? Mushrooms, bacon, olive oil, milk, and a lime. That's it. That's how many vegetables were sitting in our fridge. But, Internet, I saw the bottom of my crisper drawer today. Do you know how long it's been? I turned to Ben and said, "Hey, we've still got some veggies, but could we please cook meat with fire tomorrow?" Ben looked up from the flyer advertising Fareway's meat bundles, which he has been analyzing for two weeks, and said, "Um, sure, if that's what *you* want." I wiped the stream of drool off his chin and said, "Yeah, that's what *I* want."

So here's a "best of" list of some of the things I've made in the past few weeks. And in honor of Julie & Julia Eve, Bon Appetite!



Pizza with Carmelized Fennel, Onions, and Olives (I also added a little sausage)



Chicken with Blueberry Ginger Chutney and Maple-Glazed Turnips



Korean Runzas and Balsamic Tinged Kohlrabi



B. A. T. Sandwich (Bacon, Arugula, & Tomato) and Steamed Green Beans



Zuchinni Cupcakes with Lemon, Cream Cheese Frosting


Stuffed Zucchini (I adapted the recipe in the Better Homes & Garden Cookbook). Notice that although I usually try to hide the clutter, I embraced it in this photo just to prove that I was working on my dissertation on a Sunday afternoon. Also note, the book peaking in at the lower left hand corner. Yeah, it's Julie & Julia. What can I say, it's crack - sauteed-in-butter-cream- infused-seared-in-the-drippings-of-dead-animals-crack.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Ann, can I come live in your kitchen? I will fight Sully for the scraps. I'm excited about the movie, too! We've also got some celebratory plans in the works.