Sunday, August 16, 2009

CSA Update: When the Canning Gets Tough, the Tough Get...Not Cooking

Okay, the title's a bit anti-climatic...

In my first year of semi-hard core canning last year, I learned one very important lesson - do not think you will be cooking on the nights you are canning. It won't happen. Nope, not at all. So since I've been canning this week, there hasn't been much cooking to report around here.

But here's what I got...


Corn, Potato, and Bacon Chowder with Oat Flour Bread

Roasted Red Beet Risotto and Fresh Garden Salad
I used Lorna Sass's recipe for basic pressure cooker risotto (have we chatted about pressure cookers yet? Oh, Internet...) and added roasted beets. To roast the beets, I sprayed them with olive oil cooking spray, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and roasted them in the oven.

I also made this zucchini casserole. It was wonderful, but I forgot to get a picture of it.


Stuffed Cabbage Rolls and Oat Flour Bread
A fantastic way to use up LOTS of veggies, and we were eating of these things for DAYS. One note: Maybe it's because I had a small cabbage (and thus small cabbage leaves), but I found it made WAY too much stuffing. I would cut the recipe in half next time.

Other than that, we've been eating leftovers, snagging free meals during fellowship time at church (score!), going with Ben's mom to Brown Bottle in North Liberty, and having the most amazing meal at Natalie and Kevin's wedding. The meal was traditional Amana fare served family style; Ben and I were all, "DUDE! Why did we not have this at our wedding?"

Well, I should go. A certain chocolate lab is pouting because he has not yet received his dinner, and I must figure out what the bi-peds of the house are eating as well.

No comments: