Okay, first a tangent. Ben said this week that now that he has a snowblower, the hardest thing about all the crappy weather is that it means that we feel we have to watch the local news for the forecast. Now, my apologies to those of you who enjoy watching the local news, but we find it either a) akin to torture or b) just a drinking game waiting to happen. Both of these potentials scenarios have been magnified in this recent round of bad weather as whoever is writing copy for KCRG is in LOVE with puns these days. I mean, making-out, you rock my world, I want to have your babies LOVE with them. The opening line of one broadcast this week had Beth Malicki exclaiming, "Say it ain't snow!" It made me throw up in my mouth a little.
So, I apologize for the pun in this title - perhaps all the local news has finally got to me. It could also be that I study early modern drama - so the nerd in me is suppose to love them.
Anyway, I just wanted to share with you what a busy little squirrel I've been. I know that in the next few weeks of cold and deadlines, I will not feel like cooking much. The last time I work on such a deadline, we ate a lot of take-out. I even paid to have take-out delivered. I never do that. We, in fact, discovered that when a person comes to our door delivering hot food, Sully does not bark at them. That's right, the same dog who tries to knock over all of our friends will politely sit by the door when a food delivery person arrives and calmly greet them: "Welcome. Please come in and sit down. Can I take your coat?"
So in anticipation of these coming weeks, I have done some big batch cooking and frozen a large number of meals. This might have been my best idea ever. I love that dinner is just ready to pop in the oven or microwave in the evenings. I'm kind of thinking this might be a new trend.
Our dinners over the next few weeks will include:
*Spinach & Feta Hand-Pies (from Rachel Ray via Small Time Cooks; the roasted carrots in this entry are fabulous too!)
* Korean Runzas (from Cooking Light)
*A pork version of these Sunken Burritos (from Good Things Catered)
* A chicken version of these freezer Fajitas (from The Organized Home)
* Rockbrook Potato Casserole (stolen from Omaha's Garden Cafe. I used this recipe as a guide; our casserole has chicken tenders, red & yellow onions, canned tomatoes, mushrooms, ranch dressing and monterrey jack cheese)
*Pizza using frozen pizza dough and canned sauce
What are some of your favorite meals to freeze?
this thankful week
10 months ago
1 comment:
Chili! I'm working on graduating in March so not a lot of cooking by me going on either. We made (ok, Paul made while I wrote on the kitchen table yelling out instructions) what looks like a year's supply of chili this weekend to tide us over the next couple crazy months. I'll definitely look over your other recipes though. Good luck with the deadlines!
Post a Comment