Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Sweetest Things, Part II

So when I wrote about the cakes I made for Ben's thirtieth birthday last year, I said I wanted to reconstruct the Globe in cake form for my thirtieth. At first Ben thought it was a joke, but then he realized I wasn't shutting up about it. At one point he asked, "Where am I supposed to find someone who will make a cake that looks like the Globe? This isn't Ace of Cakes." I said, "No, I'm going to make it." He responded, "That is unacceptable." What followed was months of debate over whether or not a person can make his or her own birthday cake. I finally gave up the battle, and I figured I would get a nice cake - just no Globe.

Never underestimate Ben. After being laughed at by several Iowa City bakers, he went online and found Glorious Desserts in the Des Moines area. This woman took on the challenged of creating an early modern theatre out of sugar, flour, eggs, butter, rice krispies, and lots of fondant frosting. The results were amazing!


My Shakespeare action figure posing with his playhouse

Yes, we did actually destroy it!


We got an email yesterday that a picture of my cake will be in a forthcoming cake decorating magazine. How cool is that?

Lots and lots of thanks go to Kim and Shane who were responsible for the pick up and delivery.

Ben pulled me aside on Saturday and said, "Is it okay if the cake is your birthday present?" Of course it was; he had given me the globe - "Totus mundus agit historionem."

1 comment:

Laura said...

Deb sent me a photo of that cake after the party--amazing! I am so impressed by Ben's underground efforts, and I wish I could have been there to witness your surprise! Happy happy 30th, Ann!