At some point this fall, I explained to someone that I felt like I was living my life as a video game. One of those adventure games of my youth - Mario or Sonic. I was just dealing with the most demanding obstacle in my path with little knowledge of the next challenge that would jump out at me. One thing at a time. Just hoping that I might get to the next level.
Now, on the precipice of this new year, I feel like I should look back and take a larger view of my journey over the past year, but I find myself resisting it. It's not that I'm disappointed in myself. It is, in fact, the opposite. I know I have done well, fought hard, advanced far. But I also know that there was a lot of tears, doubt, work, and sacrifice that went into making it through. Moreover, as I look to 2010, I know that it will bring a new set of challenges that require equal, if not more, resilience. It all makes me happy to stay in my video game mentality - blissfully fixated on whichever obstacle is daunting me at the moment.
And 2010 is not starting off calmly for me. I'm attempting to tackle major deadline at the end of month, so sadly, my presence here will continue to be sporadic. Bear with me...I'm still here...just a little preoccupied with that other writing project at the moment.
It's been a odd set of holidays. We were not able to spend our days off with our families because of the Midwest's Christmas blizzard. But despite that disappointment, there was something magical about waking up on Christmas morning in our own bed and having two heads nestled on my back. The snoring I heard was so light I couldn't quite tell whose body it was coming from. I felt so content, so lucky. I was a good reminder of why I can go into battle each day - my very own sidekicks on this unpredictable journey.
Happy New Year!
this thankful week
10 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment