*Sound of Crickets*
Yup. I haven't written on here lately. Now as I sit here, with a to-do list miles long, trying to work on a Saturday afternoon, and I'm instead staring off into space. So I thought I would try to give an update.
In case you don't know, the day of my last entry, one of my dissertation advisors died. She had battled cancer a long time, but it still came as a shock to me.
Since Huston's death, I haven't had much to say. I'm sad. At times, I'm angry. I am so, so overwhelmed by grief and stress. But I have nothing articulate to say about these feelings.
Some days it feels impossible to get out of bed, let alone get dressed. But somehow I do it. Sully and I go on lots of walks in the beautiful autumn sunshine. I'm making some semblance of progress on my chapter. I teach. I eat. I sleep.
I don't cry. For almost a week straight I didn't cry. It's not that I don't want to. Crying would be a relief. As I explained it all to my counselor, she said, "Ann, can you stop thinking and start feeling?" It was hard, but I did it. I started crying and didn't stop for fifty minutes.
But for the most part, I don't cry outside her office. There's too much to worry about, to think about. Too many people to be happy for.
Yesterday I was working, and had Pandora on. Lifehouse's "From Where You Are" came on. I don't know that I had heard it before (apparently it was written for an AllState campaign/commerical on teen driving deaths). But it was everything I hadn't been able to articulate for the past week. I cried. It was good.
this thankful week
9 months ago
2 comments:
Hang in there friend. I'm here if you want to talk - I can let you know about my own thought processes during all this...
Ann-
It's been a long time since we've really communicated, but I want you to know that you and Ben are never far from my thoughts. You never have been.
There's nothing I can say that couldn't be said better or more concisely by about 40% of Americans, so I will leave it at this:
You are my friend, and I am glad that you are my friend. I am sorry for your losses. I wish so many good things for you, and for Ben. You are both in my thoughts and my prayers.
I will leave it at that for now.
Post a Comment