I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.
Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.
Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--
I, too, am America.
-Langston Hughes
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.
Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.
Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--
I, too, am America.
-Langston Hughes
3 comments:
I've been randomly crying since last night, and this set me off again! I can hardly believe this is actually happening; I almost expected to wake up and find out it was a dream!
I've been randomly crying for two days! Last night was so surreal, wasn't it? I kept thinking of TV shows and movies in recent years who had black presidents. I always thought it was cool, but even a couple years ago, I didn't know if it would be possible. But this isn't a TV show or a dream. Well, it is a dream, but a dream realized and not a dream deferred!
"Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world."
~John F. Kennedy's Inaguration Address
Post a Comment