Sunday, November 9, 2008

Something to Consider

In the past week, I have heard two news stories that were not surprising but still disturbing. First, I heard that the number of homeless children in Iowa City schools is rising. Then as I drove to church this morning, I heard two stories on Weekend Edition which described how the number of people seeking food stamps and free school lunch programs is also increasing. Stacy Dean, director of food assistance policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, told Liane Hansen that the monthly allotment given to each family in the food assistance program is typically not enough to provide them with healthy meals for the month. Families then must turn to local food pantries. Last year at this time, the Johnson County Crisis Center faced a shortage of food. I can only imagine that such shortages will be worse this year. I know my mom told me the pantry she and my dad work for in Omaha was already facing depleted shelves.

Every Sunday at church, I walk past a bin for food donations to the Crisis Center, and I've never put anything inside it. That's going to change.

Of late, I've been inspired by several service projects that were undertaken by bloggers. People who said, "Hey, I'm going to do this really cool thing. Why don't we do it together?" and then acquired allies in their projects. And although I know I have a readership of like 2 on this blog, I still thought I'd throw this idea out into the blogosphere in case it might inspire someone else to do something similar.

For the next year, I am committed to purchasing $5 worth of products for local food pantries on my weekly trip to the grocery store. Then when I go to church on Sunday, I'll drop those products in the bin when I go to hang up my coat. Yes, I know I could just write the Crisis Center a $20 check each month (and maybe some of you would like to do that), but there's something appealing to me about buying something tangible and placing it in a bin each week. Plus I think it would be harder for me to write and mail that check each month than it will be to just throw a few extra things in my basket. And the $5 a week method also brings home to me that, really, this is less than what I spend on coffee each week.

Here's a copy of the Johnson County Crisis Center's listed of suggested food donations if you are wondering what you might give:

Canned Fruit
Canned Vegetables
Canned Meat
Peanut Butter
Juice
Baby Formula
Small Diapers
Baby Food (all stages)
Pasta
Paper Projects

And if you don't have a bin you are walking past each week and live in the Iowa City area, let me know. I'd be happy to drop off your donations too!

No comments: