Monday, April 12, 2010

Finding Beauty in Unexpected Places, Day 27: Unexpected Kindness

There's this janitor in EPB. I don't know when he started, and sadly, I don't even know his name. He leaves treats in the graduate student lounge for us. He leaves all kinds of bread from the day old bread store that we can just take. (Before I figured out this system, I saw one of my TA's walking around with two bags of stuffing bread - I still giggle when I think about that.) He'll leave notes on our dry erase board that say, "These are for all the teachers and students." It's the kind of generosity legends are made of.

Tonight I was in my office between classes. I had student in there with me for a while, so my door was still open. I typically don't keep my door open, and I had forgotten that I was visible. I was having one of those days where I was feeling anxious and overwhelmed. I think I've hit the wall of a long academic year. Things are fine, really. I have been really productive lately; things are falling into place for next year. But I think I'm just losing stamina - particularly when it comes to balancing my writing with my teaching. So I was sitting there at my desk with my face in my hands, trying to put together the energy to walk into my next class.

That's when this janitor asked, "Are you okay?" He was standing outside my door and had seen me in this vulnerable moment. "Um, yeah," I sighed. "Just tired?" he asked. "Yeah," I replied. "Can I get you a water? Or a soda? My treat." "No," I replied. "I'm fine, but thanks."

I cannot let go of this interaction. This man doesn't know me, and yet he wanted to take care of me. He wanted to make my night better, and by asking if he could help, he did just that. He spends a lot of time at EPB, and he has probably seen a lot of us graduate students at our most vulnerable. He knows our struggles better than some of our loved ones, and he seems to have made it his mission to make our burdens a little lighter.

It's funny that he makes such a big deal about us as teachers, because tonight, he is my teacher.

No comments: