Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Finding Beauty in Unexpected Places, Day 29: Kindred Spirits

One of the best things about having a dog is that as you take daily walks, you start to recognize and get to know your neighbors - especially those of the elementary school set. There's one family in particular in our neighborhood that I love. I've never really talked to them, but their family reminds me a lot of mine - they are large, spirited, and close.

As Sully and I rounded out mile two of our walk tonight, I saw one of the littlest ones skipping toward me. "What's your dog's name?" she asked. And before I knew it the three of us were sitting beside the neighborhood pond discussing what it's like to have a large family, how *everyone* thinks her name is beautiful, and Sully's dental hygiene.

I looked over to see Sully's paw firmly planted in one of her hands. I felt the need to explain, "He really likes to hold hands; it's one of his favorite things. Sorry." She looked at me, confused. "No, I grabbed his hand." She gently trailed her finger across his paw. "We can hold hands," she whispered.

If she didn't need to go into dinner, I think she was going to keep walking with us around the pond. We might have a new friend.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Okay, I'm assuming this means that Sully is *thoroughly* smitten. How cute!

Laura said...

What a sweet story!