Saturday, April 10, 2010

Finding Beauty in Unexpected Places, Day 24: The Crowded Bed

Okay, confession. I really like when I'm traveling on my own and get to sleep in a big bed all by myself. You've all seen my preferred method of sleeping. Whenever I don't have to share a bed with my husband, who is also a bed hog, I can flail my body about the bed with abandon. It is, in a word, lovely.

But last night, I returned to reality. Not only did I have to share a bed with Ben again, but also with our dog who somehow "inherited" our bed hogging habits. Although we all find our own corners during the night, it gets pretty interesting in the morning when Sully gets restless. This morning, I found myself sandwiched between these two creatures I love. Then Sully decided that Ben might miss him, so he contorted his body into this half-sitting, half-lying down position in which he planted his large, barrel chest on mine so that he could put his head on Ben. It was a rude confirmation that, "No, you're not in a Marriott anymore." But, honestly, it was kind of a nice realization. Like Dorothy, I thought, "There's no place like home."

Yet as I lied there pinned down by love, I could not help but think, "Okay, when we add kiddos to this crew, I have two words for you boys - California King."

P.S. I wrote this on laptop while sitting on the bed, and within five minutes both of the boys found their way in here for a mid-day snuggle. Sully has in fact press himself up against my criss-crossed legs for the past thirty minutes. It's nice to have been missed.

No comments: