Sunday, March 7, 2010

Finding Beauty in Unexpected Places, Day 3: Knowing You're Not Alone

This afternoon, Anna (who is a total trooper) went with me to see Killadelphia at the Riverside Theatre. Sean Christopher Lewis interviewed the perpetrators and victims of violent crime in Philadelphia and those who run and comment on the correction systems there. He presents a collage of monologues based on these interviews in his wonderful one-man show. I highly recommend it if you are in the area next weekend.

I found myself nodding at points during his performance. He was echoing all these things that I had thought about and struggled with in the past few months. During the talkback, he kept running his fingers through his hair or burying his face in his hands when he was again forced to wrestle with issues to which there are no simple answers. I knew the gesture, because I have done it so many times myself.

I talked to him afterwards, and he again confirmed my theory that artists who work in prisons are the *nicest* people in the world. I asked him, "Would you be interested in coming to talk to my interpret of lit classes?" and without a beat, he said, "Yes."

No comments: