I've always worried, however, about them getting older. I feared Ben and I wouldn't have a place in their lives as they grew up. Sure we were funny and entertaining when they were little, but I feared we'd just become the crazy aunt and uncle once they were old enough to see what dorks we are.
Yet as I've watched them become lovely young adults, I've started to see how these relationships might develop. We have more options than being the fun or crazy relatives; we can, in fact, be their friends.
I had a wonderful reminder of this fact when, shortly after the final buzzer on the Kansas-UNI game, I got a call from my sister's house on my cell phone. I knew immediately the call was Andrew and that he wasn't interested in talking to me. I dutifully handed the phone over to Uncle Ben and giggled as the two of them discussed the upset and the sorry state of their brackets. I love that these two are becoming sports buddies, and I'm sure by the fall, we can count Andrew in the list of individuals who call Ben to debrief after the Huskers games. That is, of course, if he doesn't have to go to bed first.
No comments:
Post a Comment