I know, I missed yesterday. But our Internet was down. Seriously. I could get Mediacom to write me a note. (Now I sound like the half a dozen emails I got yesterday...)
So I am in love with Sarah Ruhl. Like LOVE. She is a playwright whose plays include Dead Man's Cell Phone, Clean House, and Eurydice. I say a playwright, but she is also a poet. It's like her plays are in a whole new language. She takes sorrowful themes and characters and infuses them with beauty, humor, simplicity, and complexity all at the same time. My mom and I were in a fabric store this summer, and I said, "Mom, I want to take all this fabric and roll around in it...I love it that much." That's exactly how I felt after I taught Eurydice to my afternoon class yesterday. I just wanted to take that play and roll around in it (the way Sully rolls around on the carpet every morning) - I loved it that much.
And on this rainy day, when I have no motivation, all I want to do is curl up under a blanket, drink cinnamon tea, and read Sarah Ruhl plays. Would that be so wrong?
this thankful week
9 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment