Saturday, March 27, 2010

Finding Beauty in Unexpected Places, Day 21: Brushes with Greatness

Okay, I do have to share my moment for Thursday.

Here is an email I received from my friend Sarah on Wednesday:

Hi ladies,

I'm planning on being at a coffee shop tomorrow around 1 or so. Will anyone be joining me? :) Any preference on place? I was going to say Fair Grounds, because I didn't know if Prairie Lights had reopened its coffee shop - but I'm open to whatever.

I said I would just meet her at Fair Grounds. WHY DID I DO THIS??? Because there we were sulking at Fair Grounds, jealous of our friend Anna who was actually able to get a ticket to see President Obama speak just half a mile from where we were, and we could have been at Prairie Lights where he "stopped by" after his speech to buy gifts for his daughters. WHY???

Still this picture on the front of the New York Times and the blog entry about his visit makes me giddy. I just love the idea of the President wanting to make a stop at one of my regular hangouts in Iowa City. Also I can't help but think, if the leader of the free world can take a few minutes to browse around a bookstore in the week he signed a comprehensive overhaul of health care legislation, then it really might be okay if I get back into the habit taking some time to browse myself.

No comments: