Thursday, July 8, 2010

Finding Beauty in Unexpected Places: Catalog Living

I love home decor catalogs - especially Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. I've read almost every issue of Real Simple. The problem with liking these things is that sometimes you can feel like your own humble abode doesn't measure up to the home decor perfection of these glossy photos.

That's why I'm in love with the blog Catalog Living. Molly Erdman presents "An exciting look into the lives of the people who live in your catalogs." Just like I depend on Hello! Self for inspiration in the morning, I depend on Catalog Living for a good laugh. I'm still laughing about this entry.

In addition to a good giggle, this blog also offers a healthy dose of decorating reality. The rooms in these catalogs are not practical; they are laughably impractical. And while my house might look more lived in than the ones on these pages, they *are lived in*. They are, after all, my home, and that makes them more beautiful than anything a team of designers can dream up.

1 comment:

Stacy E. said...

My favorite catalog dreaming is looking at expensive clothes that I can't afford but would maybe look cute in... specifically Athleta (which I get because it's linked to Banana Republic) and JCrew. :)