Thursday, July 22, 2010

On Zen and Corn Cobs

I'm behind on my Unexpected Beauty posts these days. I have a couple big ones in production, so if you can be patient with me, I'll get them to you one of these weeks.

But I thought I would instead share a beautiful moment/my little family is crazy story this Thursday.

My friend Laura is generously giving me calligraphy lessons (it's one of the things on my life list - another post that is in production...). As she explained practice sheets to me, she said, "I used to think they were a waste of time, but I've learned to pour myself a glass of wine, play some music, and just get into the zen moment of it all." "That sounds like heaven!" I responded. And it truly is.

The other night Ben was off to the gym after we froze some corn together. I'm under doctor's orders to only exercise moderately this week, so I decide to stay and work on my practice sheets. It was wonderful. I was blissfully engrossed in the office; I could hear Sully chewing his toy in the living room. Life was so good.

Then Ben came home. As he ascended the stairs, I heard him say, "Hey, Puppy, what have you been doing?" Then in shouted out, "Ann!" in a tone that immediately made me say, "Oh, crap!" You see, we had forgotten to put the trash can away after we were done with the corn. While I was zened out in the office, Sully had gone into the trash can, pulled out at least one (if not more) of the corn cobs and started chewing on it as if it were a bone. He ingested the whole corn cob.

Yet even as I vacuumed the rug and saw Sully's through this tummy troubles the next day, I looked back on that magical time in the office and thought, "It was so worth it."

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, Ann! It's looking so good! And I love that you're loving the process. Hopefully Sully's tummy can handle your Zen time :)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty ann!!