Sunday, July 4, 2010

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up...

When people asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up, what did you respond? My responses included: a teacher, a vet, an English major, someone who wore a suit, someone who worked in their pajamas, and a writer. With the exception of the vet, I didn't do too badly on my projections. (Once I learned about euthanizing animals, I was done with the vet idea. I'm quite satisfied being Sully's mom.)

Still it has just hit me recently that I *am* a writer. I might not always get paid for writing, but it's what I spend my days doing. I work on my dissertation in the day, and when I need a break from that, I write here. When I'm not doing that, I'm reading others' writing, talking to my colleagues about writing, or teaching others how to write. I compose blog entries in my head when I'm driving, sorting laundry, or walking the dog. For the past two nights, I've dreamt of my dissertation. Words are with me constantly.

To add to this craziness, I have, against the better judgement of many, taken on another venture with words. My friend Jeremy has a way of talking me into collaborating on projects with him: "Do you want to be in two productions of Macbeth in two months?" Absolutely; "Let's organize a panel for the Blackfriars Conference." Awesome; "Do you be an editor on this Web site I'm starting up?" Sure. I am the new Voices editor at The Shakespeare Standard, a hub for Shakespeare news on the Web. I wasn't sure how I felt about taking on the Voices section. I thought, "Really? It's an Op-Ed section, and I don't like conflict." But as I have spent the past week formulating my plans for this section, I've realized that I can tailor it so that it dovetails with my dissertation. This is a chance for me to carve out a place for my research on the Web. How can I pass on this opportunity? If you visit the section today, it is still a work in progress. I'll be working on getting things cleaned up in the coming weeks, but as of Saturday, I've starting posting there.

I woke up before Ben and Sully on Saturday and worked on composing those entries. As I pounded on my keyboard and drank my morning coffee, I felt like Jo March hauled up in her attic. It was just me, the computer, and the world, and I was so happy. It's nice to know that you have finally become what you wanted to be all along.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I teared up over a book on writing craft this weekend, I knew it was time to get back into it, schedule and exhaustion or not. So Saturday night I packed up my laptop and went to the coffee shop and had an hour and a half of *bliss*. Of course, it ended when they decided they were "slow" and kicked me out two hours before their stated closing time, but for those two hours, the world was *right* again. I'm so glad you're finding peace in what you do!