Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer Treats & Sweets

How did you celebrate your Independence Day? I celebrated by cooking. Here's sampling of what I made for the various parties we attended.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars: I didn't get a photo, but here's the recipe on Good Things Catered. I got LOTS of compliments on these.

Corn Salsa: Another thing I forgot to get a photo of! This is one of Ben's favorite recipes. This batch was particularly mild. I just used what we had on hand, which didn't include jalapenos. The recipe is from Penzey's.

Rosemary Focaccia: I've posted this before. Ben and I recently discovered that a square of this bread makes an excellent hamburger bun. This was also a crowd favorite.

Cherry, Blueberry, and Peach Pie: Adapted from this recipe at Pie in the Sky (and my first attempt at a lattice top).



Peanut Butter-Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream: As I alluded to before, this has become a new favorite treat in our house. Ben's mom got me the Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Maker for Christmas, and we've been having lots of fun with it lately. If you're an ice cream maker, here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter - Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
2 1/2 c half-and-half
1 c peanut butter
2 1/2 c whipping cream
1 tsp high quality vanilla (like Penzey's)
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 c chopped peanut butter cups (I usually chop up an 8 pack and then make up the remainder with mini chocolate chips)

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat half-and-half until very hot, but not boiling, stirring often. Remove from heat, set aside.

Mix sugar and peanut butter in the mixer until well-incorporated and creamy. With the mixer still going, very gradually add half-and-half; mix until blended.
Return half-and-half mixture to the medium sauce pan; cook over medium heat until small bubbles form around edge and mixture is steamy, stirring constantly. Do not boil.
This is where Sully gets particularly interested.
Transfer half-and-half mixture into large bowl; stir in whipping cream, vanilla, and salt. Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 8 hours.
Assemble and engage freeze bowl, dasher, and drive assembly as directed. Turn to stir (lowest speed). Pour batter into freeze bowl. Continue at the low speed for 15 to 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
Add the peanut butter cups in the last 1 to 2 minutes of freeze time. Immediately transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least two hours.

No comments: